Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Here is a Freq. Chart for MY 288-16K.......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Here is a Freq. Chart for MY 288-16K.......

    I am just starting to use REW and took a measurement with the microphone 2 inches out from the Center Bottom Cell of the 1005B horn. This is with the amp connected directly to the driver. No crossover used. This does not look good to me and suggests that I could use new Diaphragms. What Say you????

    14

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here is a Freq. Chart for MY 288-16K.......

    Looks pretty normal for a 288/expo horn to me. 500-5kHz is relatively smooth, and it's diving by 7k.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Here is a Freq. Chart for MY 288-16K.......

    That looks about like what I get with the 291 driver on the 803B horn. (Symbiotic)
    I was hoping that the aluminum 288 'fram would be flatter.

    You might try pulling back the mic a bit. And if you want to do good measurements, I can highly recommend HOLMImpulse software. Very good and it's free.
    HOLM Acoustics

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here is a Freq. Chart for MY 288-16K.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    You might try pulling back the mic a bit. And if you want to do good measurements, I can highly recommend HOLMImpulse software. Very good and it's free.
    HOLM Acoustics
    I loaded HOLMImpulse, but could not figure out how to use it. The documentation with REW was much better, so I thought I's start there. Maybe I'll try the Holm again when I get comfortable with measuring.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here is a Freq. Chart for MY 288-16K.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    You might try pulling back the mic a bit.
    HOLM Acoustics
    Well, I pulled the Mic out 2 feet and here is what I got. Strange to me!

    16

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here is a Freq. Chart for MY 288-16K.......

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Looks pretty normal for a 288/expo horn to me. 500-5kHz is relatively smooth, and it's diving by 7k.
    Here is what someone else posted in another 288 Thread. - Looks much better to me.

    forums

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here is a Freq. Chart for MY 288-16K.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    Here is what someone else posted in another 288 Thread. - Looks much better to me...
    IIRC, (and as verified in the picture), that measurement was made with no cal files loaded, so IMO is of little use. It's also 1/3 octave resolution, which smooths out the peaks/dips. Still, it and both of your plots reveal the basic characteristic of a large format Altec, with the "best" BW from 500-5k, and a rolloff above that, which is the signature trend I was alluding to.

    As you've found for indoor DIY measurement, little things can mean a lot.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here is a Freq. Chart for MY 288-16K.......

    Altec always made measurements in the chamber and as far away as was possible from the mouth of the horn. This minimizes junk reflections. Due to the size of our chamber, the mic was usually about 12 feet away.
    Experience is Knowledge

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.